Earlier this year I had mentioned that someone from my inner circle was diagnosed with cancer. Today: remission confirmed! It has been quite the journey for her. She is overwhelmingly happy. I, too, am swimming in happiness and this type of stupid-making joy and inspiration begs to be expressed through a chocolate saturated blog post. Yes, my friends. I am here. For real. And I have found the perfect excuse to stuff my face with dates, chocolate and honey.
This week it is finally starting to feel like fall here in the Bay Area. Here we celebrate the advent of the cold weather with pumpkins and hot cider and sweaters and I dig that. But I am a perennial fob, and nothing feels better to me in the fall than hot water, or nothing tea as Omar calls it, and subtle olfactory textures of warm coconut oil, cardamom and roasted nuts.Now to that bittersweet nostalgia add the mood lifting goodness of raw cacao and the sweetness of dates and honey.
- 1 cup dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Soak dates in warm water overnight.
- Next morning put dates in blender and run for 20 seconds. Put them in a bowl.
- Add coconut oil, cardamom, cinnamon and honey, salt and vanilla. Mix it well.
- Add cacao powder. Continuing mixing.
- At this point it should be firm enough to form balls. If not put it in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Ones the balls are formed, freeze them for at least 30 minutes.
- There. Done. Enjoy!